Why I Want To Be Addressed As ‘His Imperial Majesty’ – Oluwo

I

Ikenna Ngere

Oluwo-of-Iwo-768x372-1-300x145.jpg

The Oluwo of Iwoland, Oba Abdulrosheed Akanbi, commonly known as Telu 1, has clarified his preference to be addressed as “His Imperial Majesty” rather than “His Royal Majesty.”​

In a signed statement shared on his Facebook page, Oluwo explained that this change is rooted in the historical significance and respect his throne commands as a direct descendant of Oduduwa, the progenitor of the Yoruba people.

In his remarks, Oluwo emphasized that unlike other towns where kings were elevated from the position of Baale (Duke) to Oba (Monarch), Iwo has never had a Baale. Therefore, he believes that any Oluwo of Iwo should rightfully be referred to as His Imperial Majesty.

The statement reads, “The general public, most especially the admirers of The Paramount Ruler of Iwoland, are to note that Oluwo is an Imperial Majesty, not His Royal Majesty.

“The stool of Oluwo commands the respect of the direct blood of Oduduwa. The Oluwo stool is a crown from inception. Unlike many other stools in Yorubaland, Iwo stool was never upgraded from Baaleship. It is a natural Paramount crown from formation. Oluwo is a viceroy of none. Oluwo has over 30 Obas he crowned.

“As such, Oluwo should always be addressed as His Imperial Majesty, not His Royal Majesty. Any correspondence without proper address will not be honoured. No General will love to be called a sergeant likewise no Doctor will answer the name of a nurse.

Oluwo has called upon the public, particularly the sons and daughters of Iwo, to take note of this request and to address him accordingly as His Imperial Majesty.

In the Yoruba kingdom, other first-class monarchs, such as the Ooni of Ife, Soun of Ogbomoso, Alaafin of Oyo, and Awujale of Ijebuland, are traditionally referred to as His Royal Majesty.

The post Why I Want To Be Addressed As ‘His Imperial Majesty’ – Oluwo appeared first on Naija News.

Back